Sunday, April 4, 2010
The Golden Eagle Drug Company, circa 1931
The Golden Eagle Drug Store once occupied the lot at 112 West Miner Street in Yreka, California, today this spot has a small city park that is adjacent to a community art gallery and public restrooms.
Prior to the "great fire of 1871" there were reportedly several early Yreka buildings at this location, but following the fire in about 1877 a J. W. Riddle constructed a sturdy brick building. A historic plaque mounted on a post with information from the Siskiyou County Museum explains that Mr. Riddle created a basement of sandstone so he could rent storage to local farmers for their grain. By 1885 the majority of this building at the street level was being used as a saloon with a very small tailor shop on the East wall of the structure. In the rear of the building were small lodging accommodations. In 1888 the building was largely vacant with a boot-smith operating in a small area of the building, and by 1890 the boot-smith was gone and a portion of the building was home to a cobbler.
By 1897 the building had been partitioned into two distinct business buildings. With the West side of the building being a little larger than 1/2 of the structure. At this time the Riddle Building was home to a Hardware and Stove business with a Confectionery store on the smaller East portion. We discover that in 1908 the Confectionery business is gone and has been replaced by a Stage (or taxi) Office. Early in 1927 the Stage Office moved to the rear of the building where there were former lodging areas and a general office occupied its former unit. The larger portion of the building was now home to a Billiard Parlor.
In 1927 the Golden Eagle Drug Store opened for business and occupied the area where the Billiard Parlor once was. One can view the two separate entrances for the building in the image above (the tile under the windows show the division). The Golden Eagle Drug Store operated for quite some time and later became Cumming's Drug. We find Cumming's Drug Store listed in the 1949 City Directory. The two drug stores operated in this location for 56 years. The building was home to a thrift and collectibles store in July of 1990 when the building burned and was unable to be saved.
Copyright: Claudia A. Eat